The Walton-Young Historic House
Built in 1880, the Walton Young House is a registered Mississippi Landmark and a typical middle class home of the Victorian era. Horace H. Walton, who owned a hardware store on the square, lived here with his wife and three children until his death in 1891. His wife Lydia began boarding University students upstairs and remarried a country physician widower, Alfred A. Young. Dr. Young’s son Stark was the most famous resident of the home, becoming a well-known novelist, playwright, and critic. The University bought the house in 1974 from the First Presbyterian Church (who had used the house as a parsonage since 1925).
Oxford, MS 38655